At the onset of every season, we tend to clean our home to make it dust-free. The same applies to our body, which should be cleansed and detoxified regularly to get rid of disease-causing parasites and toxins. We are currently exposed to a plethora of pollutants in the air, water and the environment around us. This is why detoxification is no more a luxury, but a necessity to stay healthy. A detoxified body not only develops resilience against certain diseases but also enhances our mental clarity. Moreover, your detoxified body will be getting rid of stress, depression, and anxiety. You will be also treating already-existing ailments.
Who needs detoxification?
Although detoxification is suggested for everybody, it is a must for the people, who are currently exhibiting the following symptoms:
- Headaches and memory loss– Are you suffering from frequent headaches and having difficulties retaining memories? If you’re still young, these are the signs that your body isn’t functioning properly and needs detoxification.
- Weaker immunity – If you tend to catch infections easily, and they seem to aggravate every time, your immune system may have fallen weak. This will eventually increase your dependence on medicinal drugs, which may not be good for your health in the long run.
- Unusual cravings– Your cravings for processed food, refined sugar, and high-calorie food are crossing all safe limits, and you don’t have any idea how to stop it, right? Well, this is also a sign of impaired body functions, which need to be taken care of.
- More caffeine and alcohol– If you are experiencing an increased dependence on coffee, alcohol or other beverages, you should be alarmed if your body’s abnormal behaviour. Incessant smoking is also a sign of toxic physical health.
- Daily commuters– Our environment is getting more polluted day by day. The people, who commute regularly, fall prey to the ever-increasing pollution. They absorb carbon emissions, pesticides and herbicides, cigarette smoke and other chemicals regularly.
- Kidney problems – Has the skin under your eyes become puffy? On top of that, if you are suffering from sudden fatigue, or if your feet have become smelly and your ankles have swelled, you may be suffering from kidney problems, which should be addressed immediately.
- Yellowish eyes – When your liver is not functioning properly, symptoms like yellowing of the white area in your eyes or your skin and dark-coloured urine are observed. Complete detoxification can help restore the liver in its previous, healthy condition.
- Obesity – Are you putting on excessive weight? If you’re not following a healthy diet, you’re likely to gain weight quickly. However, if you’re not consuming a lot of processed food and refined sugars, then this unexpected weight gain can be the cause of an infection.
The aforementioned symptoms prove that the detoxifying organs like the liver, kidneys, lungs, the digestive system, and the skin are not functioning properly. Some less-invasive, natural supplements can be used for detoxifying your body and getting rid of the existing problems as well as preventing further damage. However, if you’re suffering from any chronic medical condition, it’s best to opt for your physician’s advice before trying anything new.
Can herbal supplements help in detoxification?
When the question arises, people tend to believe in first-hand experiences more than research. According to many, certain herbal supplements have proved to be highly effective in detoxifying the body and restoring a healthy system. Their efficiency rests in the fact that these supplements are prepared using medicinal herbs that have fewer or no side effects on the body.
Some of these herbs have been listed below along with their many benefits:
- Basil leaves– Basil leaves, ‘Holy Basil’, or ‘Tulsi’, as they are commonly known, have tremendous therapeutic properties. They are used to prepare herbal tea and supplements to improve resilience against diseases and enhance overall body functions. Furthermore, it’s an adaptogen, which also has a significant effect on mood disorders and stress. In Ayurvedic medicine, the ‘Holy Basil’ is used to prepare remedies for stomach infections and parasitic diseases (e.g. malaria).
- Epazote– A native herb in Central and South America. It is also known as wormseed and used to make amazing Mexican tea. The tea is said to be highly effective against parasites and worms like Toxocara canis, Leishmania, Plasmodium falciparum and more. The herb’s antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties also help fight flu and other infectious diseases.
- Cilantro – This multi-purpose herb is popular for its antibacterial, detoxifying properties besides its ability to enhance the immune system, treat digestive disorders and cramps. It is also used to prepare essential oils.
- Thyme – Thyme contains phytochemicals that aids in fighting parasitic, fungal and bacterial infections. Some of the parasites that it can destroy are Antamoeba histolitica, Toxoplasmosis gondiiand Trichinella spiralis among others. Scientific research also proves that it can prevent infections caused by Staphylococcus aureus and Clostridium perfringens.
- Milk Thistle – An antioxidant that helps rejuvenate dead cells. This Mediterranean herb is also used as a detoxifying agent for the liver. For best results, it should be consumed on an empty stomach before a meal.
How to improve the effects of detoxification
As mentioned earlier, detoxifying your body regularly is required to help it function properly in a toxic environment. Nonetheless, if you continue to follow an unhealthy lifestyle, the effects of detoxification won’t remain for long.
You should be careful about your diet, exercise, and overall lifestyle, which should enhance your body’s metabolism and help it flush out toxins regularly. Limit the intake of alcohol, processed food, refined sugar, excessive salt and avoid smoking. Make sure that you sleep at least 6 hours daily and keep yourself hydrated. Consume edibles that are rich in antioxidants and prebiotics.
If your body organs are losing their natural ability to flush out toxins, herbal supplements can be used to detoxify the body regularly and prevent disease-causing pathogens to wreak havoc. However, you should be responsible for the proper functioning of your system as much as those supplements that you consume. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is essential to maximize the effects of detoxification. You should also limit the consumption of potentially harmful beverages and processed food that may have serious consequences concerning your overall health.
Stay healthy, fresh and rejuvenated always!
Guest post by Ella Brown.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY: